Stuart Davis Catalogue
Stuart Davis
Born December 7 in Philadelphia to Edward Wyatt Davis, illustrator for the Philadelphia Inquirer and subsequently illustrator and art editor for the Philadelphia Press, and Helen Stuart Foulke Davis, a sculptor.
The Davis family moves to East Orange, New Jersey, where his father works as art editor and cartoonist for the Newark Evening News.
Davis's father works as art editor of Judge in New York.

John Wyatt Davis, the artist's only brother, is born on February 14 in East Orange, New Jersey.

Becomes student at East Orange High School.
Begins to draw illustrated adventure stories for his brother.

Enrolls in the Robert Henri School of Art in New York and befriends fellow students Glenn O. Coleman and Henry Glintenkamp.

The family moves from New York City to Newark, New Jersey.
In December, rents a studio with Henry Glintenkamp in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Davis develops a lifelong passion for jazz.
Ends his formal education by leaving Robert Henri School of Art.

Joins The Masses, a radical literature and art magazine.

In September, Coleman, Glintenkamp, and Davis move studio to the Lincoln Arcade in New York.

Spends summers in Provincetown, Massachusetts.
Davis leaves the shared studio in New York.
At the invitation of John Sloan, Davis spends the summer on Cape Ann (Gloucester, Massachusetts). Stays at "The Red Cottage", a gathering place for artists, writers, and The Masses staff, with his mother, brother, and John and Dolly Sloan. Continues to spend summers in Gloucester almost every year until 1940.
Lives in East Orange, New Jersey, with his parents.

Davis, along with Sloan, Coleman, Glintenkamp, and two other artists, resigns from The Masses staff due to a policy dispute.

Moves to New York by August.

Drafted during World War I. Serves in the U.S. Army Intelligence Department and works in the Geographical Society Building in New York under Walter Lippmann.

Spents the summer in Tioga, Pennsylvania, with his mother and brother.

Visits Cuba in late December to recover from the Spanish influenza with Coleman. Both return to the United States in early 1920.

Lives with his parents in New York.

Meets and befriends the painter Niles Spencer.

Davis and his brother spend the summer visiting the Sloans in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Lives at the Chelsea Hotel in New York.

Sets up a summer-fall studio in his parents' new home in Gloucester, Massachusetts.

Lives and works in his Seventh Avenue apartment and studio in New York.
Davis and Bessie Chosak travel to Paris. He sets up studio in Montparnasse.

Marries Bessie Chosak on June 29 in Paris.

The couple returns to New York in August and lives there in an apartment on Fourteenth Street near Eighth Avenue.

Davis is introduced to Arshile Gorky.

Davis and his wife move to St. Luke's Place in New York.
The couple lives on Second Avenue in New York.

Glenn O. Coleman, Davis's closest friend, dies.

Bessie Chosak Davis dies on June 15.

Davis rents two rooms on West Fourteenth Street in New York. Franz Kline, the painter, is one of his neighbors.

By the summer, Davis has to leave the apartment and moves to Gloucester with the help of Arshile Gorky. He stays there until December, when he returns to New York.

Enrolls in the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP).

Becomes a member of the radical John Reed Club.

Davis's father suffers a stroke and is hospitalized. His mother relocates to Florida.

Davis shares an apartment in New York with his brother, Wyatt, his sister-in-law, Mariam, and Joan, his niece.

Meets Roselle Springer, the artist Misha Reznikoff's estranged wife. The couple lives in an apartment and studio on Seventh Avenue until 1954.

Davis is the editor of Art Front, the Artists' Union's monthly journal. He contributes several articles during the course of the year.

Enrolls in Works Progress Administration Federal Art Project (WPA/FAP, formerly Public Works of Art Project).

Becomes a member of the American Society of Painters, Sculptors, and Gravers.

Davis and Glintenkamp resign from Art Front due to increased involvement in the Artists' Congress.

Following a dispute with Edith Halpert, ends relationship with the Downtown Gallery. He will reestablish it in 1941.

Edward Wyatt Davis dies on September 23.

Wyatt Davis moves to New Mexico.

Second marriage to Roselle Springer on February 25.

Davis begins to promote a permanent art bill. He testifies before a congressional committee.

Leaves the Works Progress Administration Federal Art Project (WPA).
Teaches art at the New School for Social Research, New York.
Meets artist Piet Mondrian in New York.

Reestablishes a formal relationship with the Downtown Gallery.

Meets Edith and Milton Lowenthal, who become his close friends and important collectors of Davis's work.
Arshile Gorky commits suicide.
Visiting Critic for Advanced Art at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.
George Earl Davis, only child of Stuart and Roselle Davis, is born on April 17 in New York.

Niles Spencer dies.

William H. Lane purchases his first artworks, Rurales No. 2, Cuba, 1920, and Egg Beater No. 3, 1928. Lane will become a major private collector of Davis's work.
Member of the directing faculty of the Famous Artists School in Westport, Connecticut.

Moves with his family to an apartment with a studio on West Sixty-seventh Street in New York. This will be his final residence.

Hospitalized during the month of April due to failing health.
Two more hospital stays during September and December.
Last televised interview broadcasts in May.

Dies June 24 in New York City from a stroke. He is buried in Springs, New York.

[return to top]