MORE ART HEADLINES FROM ALL OVERJune 6, 2011
* Avant-garde film maker Adolfas Mekas passed away on May 31, 2011, at the age of 85, according to an obituary in the Daily News.
* The degradation of archeological monuments in Afghanistan, such as the 11th-century Bost Arch, is owed to misplaced Afghan government priorities -- not lack of funds, writes Ann Marlow in the New York Times.
* The controversial art festival Based in Berlin -- showcasing “young” Berlin artists -- debuts as planned June 8-24, 2011, despite objections to its selection process, according to the New York Times.
* Artist-activist Ai Weiwei was named an honorary member of Britain’s Royal Academy on Wednesday, alongside Danish painter Per Kirkeby, reports Reuters.
* Independent New York-based curator Dean Daderko has been named curator of the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, according to YourHoustonNews.