|artnet Analytics Reports | FAQ|
Most frequently asked questions about artnet Analytics ReportsShow all answers
1. What are artnet Analytics Reports?
2. What are the different types of reports available?
3. How do I build my reports
Selecting one report type will bring you to a customization process where you can decide which artist(s) and graphs to include in your report, and how your indices should be displayed (either combined or compared).
The steps to build your report will depend on the report type selected. At all times, easy-to-follow instructions are available to walk you through the process. Please click on “Need Help?” on the top right of each step of the report building process.
If you have any question, you can also email artnet analysts or call at +1-212-497-9700 ext. 135, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (EST).
4. What if I cannot find an artist that I am looking for in the report wizard?
Please note that only some of these artists are available within the Comparable Set Report path. Artists that are not currently included will be activated once they have sufficient sales history.
5. What are artnet Indices?
artnet Indices, such as the Contemporary Art Index (C50), track the performance of a variety of artists and collecting categories.
Individual Artist Indices are also based on groups of comparable artworks; similar to the way certified appraisers use USPAP (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice) to establish comparables for valuation.
For a more detailed explanation of the artnet methodology, please read the artnet Indices White Paper.
artnet Indices can be compared against financial Indices, such as the Dow Jones or the S&P 500, to get a broader sense of how the art market or segments of it perform against financial sectors.
6. What is the artnet C50™ Index
The master list of the 50 most important Contemporary artists is defined using data from the artnet Price Database and a robust approach, where artists are ranked based on their yearly performance. The rank for each artist in a given year is used in a formula dating back five years; the resulting rank value generated is used to determine the final list of the 50 most significant Contemporary artists.
More specifically, artists are ranked with the following steps:
The final list used in the artnet C50™ Index is an indication of which artists artnet considers significant in the Contemporary Art market, reflecting both a data filtering process and expert opinion. With the artnet C50™ Index, users can compare individual artist markets and financial indices to this art market index, in order to support informed purchase decisions.
7. How are artnet Indices calculated?
Comparables sets are then combined using linear regression, a statistical approach that analyzes the relationship between the sale prices of each lot within the set.
A detailed account of the complex calculations involved in generating artnet Indices can be found inthe artnet Indices White Paper.
8. What are artnet Top Picks?
Examples of set characteristics include:
Analyzing the performance of these sets over time allows evaluating the market value for specific segments of an artist’s work. These comparable sets can be combined into one index or compared against each other. For more details on the “combine” and “compare” options, please read question 10.
For a more detailed explanation on Comparable Sets, please read the artnet Indices White Paper.
9. What if I cannot find a lot that I am looking for in a specific Comparable Set?
Lots currently without appropriate comparables are held from analysis until a comparable lot sale can be added. All auction sales results can still be viewed in the artnet Price Database, regardless of inclusion in artnet Indices.
For more details, please see the artnet Price Database product page.
10. What do “Combine”and“Compare” mean?
For the Artwork Analysis Reports:
For the Multiple Artists Reports:
For more details, please read the artnet Indices White Paper.
11. What components are included in each Analytics Report?
Please note that the graphs included in the artnet Analytics Prepared Reports may vary according to the subject of the report.
You can control how charts and graphs are displayed by altering the time frame, choosing different visualization options, and adding other financial indices to compare. These options are available when the report is viewed online. Fewer interactive options are available when the report is downloaded in PDF format or printed.
12. How is the base year for an artist’s index determined?
13. Why are indices scaled to 100 in the index graph?
14. What is the difference between a cap-weighted and an equal-weighted index?
15. What types of artworks are included in artnet Analytics Reports?
16. Do prices recorded in artnet Analytics Reports include a buyer’s premium?
17. When combining several components in the Multiple Artists Reports or the Artwork Analysis Reports, can I assign different weights to each artist or Comparable Set?
The same weighting system can also be applied when combining several Comparable Sets.
18. How often do the Artist Indices and Comparables Sets get updated?
For more technical details, please read the artnet Indices White Paper.
19. How do I subscribe to artnet Analytics Reports?
You can purchase single reports or Report Packages, which are groups of reports purchased in advance.
View question 20 for more information on how to purchase reports.
20. How do I purchase a report?
Selecting one report type will bring you to a step-by-step customization process. If you would like to save time, you can also select “artnet Top Picks” on the product page to skip the customization process and get access to reports already prepared and customized for you by artnet analysts.
Once your report is customized or once you have selected artnet Top Picks, you will be brought to the checkout section to purchase your report.
1. Review your order: Review the report specifications you have requested.
2. Choose a payment option: Log in to deduct the cost of the report from a Report Package you previously purchased, or enter your billing information to pay by credit card.
3. Complete your order: Review your order summary and billing information carefully. If everything is correct, please click“Purchase My Report” to finalize your order.
4. Print receipt: Once you have purchased your report, you will be taken to a confirmation page that you can print for your records. An email will also be sent to confirm your order.
Please note that your report might be available immediately or with a short delay if the complexity of the calculations involved is high. In case of a delay, you will be notified as soon as the report is ready.
Visit My Reports page to view, download, print, or update your report.
21. What are artnet Analytics Report Packages? And how can I purchase one?
The reports can be created at any time. Report Packages do not have an expiration date.
You can purchase Report Packs at any time from the artnet Analytics product page or at the end of the report customization process, at check-out. You can then add report packages from the check-out page or from the My Reports page.
Please note that you need to create a username or be logged in to purchase a Report Package.
The Report Packages you purchased are available from the Member Services page.
22. Can I purchase an artnet Top Picks report with my Report Package?
Depending on the topic and the complexity of the calculations, the prices of the Top Picks reports can vary.
Report Packages only allow you to purchase Artist Market Reports, Artwork Analysis Reports, and Multiple Artists Reports.
23. I have an Analytics Report Package, but would like to pay separately for a report. Can I?
If you would like to use your credit card instead, you will be asked to create a separate username, and purchase the report under this new username.
Please note that you cannot purchase Top Picks Reports with a Report Package, as the prices of the reports vary. Therefore you will always be able to purchase a Top Picks Report separately from your Report Package.
24. Why didn’t I get my report after purchasing it?
In this event, you will be notified of the length of the delay at the time of purchase.
As soon as the report is ready, artnet will contact you again to let you know that you can consult the report.
Visit My Reports page to view, download, print, or update your report.
If you have any question or concern, you can also email artnet analysts or call at +1-212-497-9700 ext. 135, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (EST).
25. Where can I find my Analytics Reports?
Please note that you can also access this page from the Member Services page.
26. When should I update my Analytics Reports?
If the link “Update now” appears for any listed report, you will be able to update the report with the latest data available. Please note that all artnet Indices are updated monthly, as new market data become available.
If you have any problem to update your reports, please email artnet analysts or call at +1-212-497-9700 ext. 135, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (EST).
27. I would like to know more about Value Added Tax. Where can I find more information?
Customer service / artnet Analytics team contacts
If you are still having trouble, please email artnet analysts or call at +1-212-497-9700 ext. 135, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (EST).
You can also contact artnet customer service as follows: