Moved to Blackheath (1947). After intensive study of Post-Impressionist theories his landscape painting became increasingly tentative and ambiguous until finally it reached an impasse. Problem of the next step. Saw the Picasso exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum (1946) which revealed the crisis in modern painting and confirmed his own problems. But rejected a return to Fauvism or Cubism. Instead turned to Paul Klee, Mondrian and Ben Nicholson with the idea of starting again intrinsically and organically in completely independent terms. Exhibited his first paintings in this form at the London Group, 1948 and also, in the same year, at his second exhibition at the Redfern Gallery, thus opening a new era in British painting: 'The most revolutionary event in post-war British Art' Herbert Read. In 1949 left Camberwell School to join William Johnstone, the new Principal of the Central School of Art, who had introduced into the departments of industrial design a foundation course on the lines of that at the Bauhaus.
Since moving to the abstract, Pasmore had been looking for new objective foundations from which he could develop his work. Appointed to take part in this course, he found an extension and reinforcement of his own research in this respect.
In 1950 painted the large spiral ceramic mural for the Festival of Britain. In the process he met architects for the first time, and became involved in the constructive aesthetics of modern architecture. In 1951, as a result partly of this influence, partly of an acquaintance with the reliefs of Ben Nicholson, and partly of a correspondence with the American constructivist Charles Biederman, he began to develop from flat painting to relief.
In 1951 joined with Kenneth Martin and Robert Adams in forming a group which organised the first post-war exhibitions of purely abstract paintings and sculpture in England.
In 1954 left the Central School to become Director of Painting in the Department of Fine Art, University of Newcastle. There he set up an experimental department of basic abstract studies which he called 'The Developing Process'. Also directed summer schools at Scarborough in Yorkshire along the same lines.
In 1954 appointed Consulting Director of Urban Design for the South West Area, Peterlee New Town in County Durham. Although only part-time, his work was fully executive and, in conjunction with the Corporation's architects, he designed the lay-out and architecture of the south west area of the town. Left the Corporation in 1977 after the completion of the South West Area.
Continued to concentrate on the relief, which he developed into projective constructions in conjunction with his architectural work at Peterlee.
1960 Retrospective exhibitions at the British Pavilion, XXX Venice Biennial; Musee des Arts Decoratifs, Paris; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; Louisiana Museum, Copenhagen; Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels; Stadtische Kunst Galerie, Bochum; Kunsterners Hus, Oslo; Kestner-Gesellschaft, Hanover; Kunsthalle, Bern, and the Marlborough Gallery, London