An exhibit of original works by two of the towering artistic talents of our era – Hans Hofmann and Alexander Liberman – 20 October – 25 November, opens with a reception Saturday, 20 October from 5-7 pm.
Hofmann was one of the most important artists of the postwar period, a catalyst of the Abstract Expressionist movement who was celebrated for his exuberant, color-filled canvases. Liberman was famed both as the esteemed magazine art director of Vogue and for his highly recognizable metal sculptures assembled from industrial objects, and painted in bright colors.
The exhibit will feature work executed during that critical point in Hofmann’s career when the last vestiges of representational form are giving way to the liberation of colorful vivid abstraction. It is precisely this emphasis on the vivid colorful abstraction of form that Alexander Liberman was trying to express in steel during this same time period.
Hans Hofmann (1880 -1966) was born in Weissenburg in Bavaria, Germany in 1880. He studied art in Munich and Paris, where he lived from 1904-14. He returned to Germany in 1914, and in 1915 he opened an art school in Munich. In 1930, Hofmann traveled to the United States, and from 1930-32 he taught at the University of California, Berkeley, and the Chouinard School of Art in Los Angeles. Because of the growing hostility toward intellectuals in Germany, Hofmann decided to remain in America. In 1932, Hofmann moved to New York. He taught at the Art Students League, then opened the Hans Hofmann School of Fine Arts in 1933. Hofmann died in 1966 in New York at the age of 86.
Alexander Liberman (1912-1999) was born in 1912 in Kiev Russia, and left for London and Paris in 1921, making his way to the U.S. in 1941. During his long tenure at Vogue, Liberman commissioned artists such as: Cornell, Dali, Chagall, Duchamp, Braque, Rauschenberg and Johns. By the mid-1950s, Liberman was exhibiting his own paintings and photographs in galleries and museums around New York. In 1959 Liberman learned to weld steel and he quickly began making sculpture on a scale that required industrial machinery. He embraced the industrial scale of America that had so impressed him on his arrival to here in 1941.
The Morrison Gallery is located at 8 Old Barn Road near the intersection of Routes 7 and 341. Opened in 1999, the soaring, modern gallery offers on going exhibits of sculpture, painting and other media under the direction of owner William Morrison.