A student of Charles Lhuillier (1823-1898) who was both a professor at the Beaux-Arts and conservator in his native town of Le Havre in Northern France, Prunier then went to live in Paris in 1887. He exhibited at Galerie Bing, Paris in 1899 and then at the Salon from 1901 onwards. He also exhibited at the Salons in London at the crossroads of the 19th and 20th Centuries.
At first he found inspiration for his paintings and watercolours from the fortifications, construction works sites, demolitions of houses and of blue collar Paris (examples include Le Canal St Martin, in the permanent collection of the Musee Carnavalet). His landscapes are strong, precise, large dense masses. The same qualities can be noted in the views of Brittany and the Pyrenees and even London where he spent some time. There is a spark of Turner about the present work and perhaps even Monet too. In 1894 Prunier was given the commission of the decoration of the Church of St Palais in the Pyrenees.