An exceptional 1940s centre table by Jansen, the circular top of radiating anegre veneer, with a frieze of two circular cast bamboo stems with anagre veneer between, all supported by a base of stylized bamboo stems, c-scrolled, short stems at the column and long c scrolled legs with geometric stylized Greek key motifs and bamboo-stem Greek key motifs, separated by and finishing on brass balls.
This unusual and monumental table will likely have been designed and made as a bespoke piece for a client by Jansen – who provided services to the royal families of Belgium, Iran, and Serbia; Elsie de Wolfe, the German Reichsbank during the period of National Socialism; and Lady Olive Baillie's Leeds Castle in Kent, England. The firm's most published work was a project by Boudin and Paul Manno, the head of Jansen's New York office, for the U.S. White House during the administration of John F. Kennedy.
Jansen, as a Paris-based interior decoration office, was founded in 1880 by Dutch-born Jean-Henri Jansen and continuing in practice until 1989. Jansen is considered the first truly global design firm, serving clients in Europe, Latin America, North America and the Middle East by 1900.
From its beginnings, Jansen combined traditional furnishings with influences of new trends including Anglo-Japanese style, the Arts and Crafts movement, and Turkish style. The firm paid great attention to historical research with which it attempted to balance clients' desires for livable, usable, and often dramatic space. In the early 1920s, Jean-Henri Jansen approached Stéphane Boudin, who was then working in the textile trimming business owned by his father Alexandre Boudin, and brought him on-board. Boudin's attention to detail, concern for historical accuracy, and ability to create dramatic and memorable spaces brought increasing new work to the firm.
Throughout the firm's history, it employed a traditional style drawing upon European design, but influence of contemporary trends including the Vienna Secession, Modernism, and Art Deco has also appeared in Jansen interiors and in much of the custom furniture the firm produced between 1920 and 1950.