George Rickey (American, 1907–2002) was best known for his kinetic, steel sculptures. Born in South Bend, Indiana, Rickey studied history at Oxford University, and developed an interest in art while taking classes at the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art. Rickey continued his studies in Paris at the Académie Lhote and Académie Moderne under Fernand Léger and Amédée Ozenfant. After teaching for several years, Ricky served in the Army Air Corps during World War II as an engineer. While he worked to improve aircraft weaponry, Rickey became familiar with mechanical construction techniques that he later translated into his sculptures. After the war, he studied at the Chicago Institute of Design and began making kinetic sculptures in the early 1950s. Rickey’s work is often compared with the mobiles of Alexander Calder, but while Calder used organic, playful forms, Rickey’s work is more closely linked with the Constructivist principles of geometric engineering. His stainless steel sculptures are composed of squares, rectangles, beams, and shell-like forms that move with the wind. Two Open Triangles Up Gyratory (1982), for example, moves to form endless combinations of shapes. His work is held by several collections, including the Laumeier Sculpture Park in St. Louis, the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., and the Museum of Modern Art in New York.