Sculptor Carl Andre
(American, b.1935) is a preeminent member of the Minimalist Art movement. Andre studied art at Philips Academy, in Andover, MA, while in high school, and briefly attended Kenyon College, in Gambier, OH, before traveling abroad to England and France in the middle of his college years. He worked in North Carolina for the United States Army Intelligence before moving back to New York City, where he spent his time sculpting and working as an editorial assistant for a publishing company in the city. Andre was first asked to exhibit his work in 1964 in the Hudson River Valley area of New York; the reduced geometric vocabulary of his work gained critical attention, and he began exhibiting regularly at art galleries in New York. His simple cubes and panels, laid flat on the floor, were made from wood, lead, limestone, copper, and other industrial materials. Andre’s first sculptures were inspired by the work of Constantin Brancusi
(Romanian, 1876–1957) and Frank Stella
(American, b.1936), and attempted to invoke the pure essence of artistic form through repeating units with a studied, reduced, and stark feel. Andre has also created many large-scale public sculptures, published a book of poetry, and exhibited his work at numerous international institutions including the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and The Museum of Modern Art in New York City, the Martin-Gropius-Bau in Berlin, Germany, and the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. Andre currently lives and works in New York City.