|A-1010 Vienna, Austria|
|Tel: ||+ 43 1 515 60-0|
|Fax: ||+ 43 1 515 60-443|
|Mon. - Fri. 10 AM - 6 PM, Sat. 9 AM - 5 PM|
Welcome to the oldest of the world's major auction houses! Founded in 1707, the Dorotheum has its headquarters in the heart of Europe, in Vienna, a city renowned for its art and culture. Close to 300 years after its foundation, the Dorotheum has grown into the largest auction house of German-speaking Europe, and one of the leading institutions of its kind anywhere in the world. Tradition, our experts' expertise and market know-how, individual service, diversity and international connections, all contribute to the popularity and esteem our house continues to enjoy among our many clients.
Every year the Dorotheum hosts approximately 600 auctions. A staff of over 400 and more than 70 art experts and specialists in a wide variety of collecting areas are at your service not just in Vienna's Palais Dorotheum but in a number of branch offices throughout Austria – such as in Salzburg – or in the capital of the Czech Republic, Prague.
Our experts oversee a great variety of categories with a particular emphasis on major art, such as old master paintings, 19th century paintings, modern and contemporary art, as well as on various types of antiques, such as glass and porcelain, art nouveau, silver, sculptures, furniture, design, frames, jewellery, and watches. Completing the Dorotheum's auction program are a number of specialised departments dedicated to several traditional as well as more recent collecting areas; including books, coins, autographs, stamps, decorations, historical securities, militaria and historical arms & armour, toys, model trains, vintage ads, comics, vintage radio technology, and vintage cameras.
The auction year revolves around four major auction weeks featuring a superior selection of first-rate items, with special auctions focussing on art and collectibles. Supported by extensive catalogues and high-powered marketing strategies, our auctions attract a large circle of international clients. Dorotheum auctions have long enjoyed world-wide recognition owing to our international client service and a network of representatives stretching from Brussels to Tokyo.
Since 1994, the Dorotheum has been a member of the "International Auctioneers", an organization which has given it access to a world-wide marketing network through joint activities with well-reputed auction houses in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and the USA. The so-called "Simultaneous Auctions", held annually in the field of Modern Art, have contributed to the Dorotheum's international success.
Minor auctions held daily except on Sunday offer a rich selection of enchanting objects, from Biedermeier chairs to art nouveau bracelets or designer glass, and thereby cater to practically all individual tastes and preferences. Come and discover for yourself the superb selection on display in our show-rooms.
The Dorotheum's retail department is likewise distinguished by the great variety it offers our customers: if you should find yourself unable to attend one of our auctions you still have the opportunity to choose from among the wealth of paintings, antiques, and collectibles available at the Palais Dorotheum and many of our other branch offices.
The Dorotheum is also known as Austria's largest retailer of jewellery, presenting an excellent selection of items from contemporary fashion trends at ffordable prices and of a quality that is guaranteed by our experts.
The historical traditions of our institution provided the original basis for our pawn and loan department, a service which continues to enjoy considerable popularity that has made the
Dorotheum the market leader in this area.
One of Vienna's best known institutions, the Dorotheum can be said to embody a part of Austrian history. Founded in 1707 as the "Versatz- und Fragamtes zu Wien" by Emperor Joseph I., it moved into the premises of the former Dorothea Convent, lending it its present name. The magnificent Palais Dorotheum itself, which eventually supplanted the old convent in the Dorotheergasse, was finished in 1901 and will therefore celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2001. The plans for the new building in the Neo-Baroque style were drawn up by the renowned architect Emil Ritter von Förster, who also designed several buildings along Vienna's famous Ringstrasse Boulevard. The opening ceremony was attended by none less than the Emperor Franz Joseph himself. Even then, the buildings spacious show-rooms and salons served all the requirements of a major auction house in a truly excellent fashion and they soon became a favourite meeting place among elegant society. Today the Palais continues to provide the perfect setting and ambience for the Dorotheum's major auctions.
Since autumn 2001, the Dorotheum has got new young owners who continue to conduct the auction house with a great deal of personal commitment and a lot of enthusiasm for art. It is the goal of the new management to further expand Vienna as a location for auction and at the same time preserve the charm of this traditional institution. With an intensified client service, a younger image, and the expansion of international contacts, e.g. within the collaboration with International Auctioneers and their joint Modern Art sale, as well as with investments in the internet business and information technology, the Dorotheum wants to adopt a new interesting profile for art lovers and collectors. New impulses will be set above all in the fields of modern and contemporary art.